4-H AND OTHER YOUTH SHEEP SHOW
DIRECTOR: Diane Norris • Thursday, August 11, 2016 — 9:00 a.m.
SUPERINTENDENT: Janelle Ashley, 989-9528, email@example.com — REGISTER ON LINE AT: https://sites.google.com/site/acffdsheepshow/
RULES & AWARDS
ENTRY FEE: $2.00 per class
1. Mail entries and entry fees to Janelle Ashley, 33 North Main Street, Whiting, VT 05778 Tel. 989-9528. Deadline for entries is Monday, July 25, 2016.
2. Exhibitors must provide their own feed. Sawdust & straw provided.
3. ALL sheep must be owned or leased by showing youth as of July 30, 2016.
4. All animals must arrive on the grounds and be checked for health, registration and class entries between noon and 9:00 p.m. on Monday, August 8, 2016. After check in, only scratches can be made. Animals must remain in the grounds until 9:00 p.m. on Saturday, August 13, 2016. All animals must be removed by 10:00 a.m. Sunday, August 14, 2016. Exhibitors are responsible for taking down and stacking their own pens and cleaning their area.
5. BARN MEETING for all exhibitors, Tuesday August 9th at 6:00 pm in the show tent.
6. HEALTH REGULATIONS — Same as Open Sheep Show.
7. This show is open to youth 5-21 years of age (as of January 1, 2016).
(Exhibitors less than 9 years must have a parent at ringside.)
8. All registered sheep must be registered in the name of the exhibitor or have a signed and stamped lease form. Registration papers must be available at any time for inspection by the Superintendents. 4-Her must have the approval forms at check in time to receive a 4-H clover for their exhibitor’s number.
9. Breeds will be shown separately where numbers merit 5 exhibitors or 3 flocks enter will determine if a breed has a separate class. If not, the breed may be combined into all other breed classes at the discretion of the Sheep Superintendents.
10. All sheep must have a scrapies ear tag.
11. Exhibitor may not show more than two (2) breeds; 9 sheep total including market lamb.
12. All sheep must be presented appropriately according to breed.
13. Only one entry per class per exhibitor, except Championship and flock classes.
14. Novices must show on halter, optional for juniors, and seniors.
15. Only exhibitors may work on their animals after arrival at the show. When working with animals, apporiate footwear must be worn. All youth exhibitors must fit their animals in the show ring. Youth exhibitors are expected to conduct themselves in a cooperative and respectful manner. The Superintendents reserve the right to ask an exhibitor to leave.
16. A SHEPHERD’S AWARD consisting of a shepherd’s crook will be awarded to the most outstanding shepherd to be chosen by ballot.
17. SHEEP EXHIBITOR PERFORMANCE AWARD-This award will be given to outstanding junior and senior youth who earns the most points overall. Open to all youth exhibitors. An exhibitor can only win this award once as a junior and once as a Intermediate/Senior. Sponsored by Large Animal Medical Associates
10 pts. Sheep knowledge quiz 10 pts. Leadline
15 pts. Promotion contest 10 pts. Barn exhibit
10 pts. Exhibitor conduct & sportsmanship 10 pts. Record Book
15 pts. Barn inspections 10 pts. Showmanship placing
10 pts. Blocking & Fitting Contest
18. All premiums and awards will be presented at the Exhibitor’s Meeting at 7:00 p.m. on August 13th. The Superintendent reserves the right to withhold any premium or award to any exhibitor who has not adhered to these rules.
19. Sheep knowledge quiz for all youth exhibitors required. Novice, junior, intermediate and senior division. General knowledge quiz will be given to youth exhibitors at Tuesdays barn meeting at 6:00pm.
20. Daily barn inspections, details at barn meeting Tuesday night.
21. Sheep Project Record Book (optional) turned in at first barn meeting and will be returned at Saturdays barn meeting.
22. EXHIBITOR & PARENTS POT LUCK DINNER, Saturday, August 13th, 2016, 6:00 pm.
23. Barn Exhibit: A sheep educational display exhibited at the pen. First, second and third place prizes sponsored by Green Peppers.
*1. Fitting and Showmanship: Exhibitors are required to participate and must show their own, or a leased, animal. Exhibitors MUST be neatly attired in white button shirt/blouse and white, black, dark green or tan pants. This class will be divided into 4 groups: Senior (age 18-21); Intermediate (age 13-17), Junior (age 9-12); Novice (1st year, 8yrs). A PeeWee showmanship class for youth 5-7 years with a prize for each. A sheep blanket will be awarded to each first place showman.
*2. Yearling Ram Class- (limited to youth 12 yrs of age and older-not to be shown in Fitting and Showmanship.) 1 yr of age, but under 2 years
*3. Senior Ram Class — born on or after September 1, 2015 and before January 1, 2016
*4. Junior Ram Class — born on or after January 1, 2016
*5. Aged Ewe—2 years and older
*6. Yearling Ewe — 1 year of age, but under 2 years
*7. Senior Ewe — born on or after September 1, 2015 and before January 1, 2016
*8. Junior Ewe — born on or after January 1, 2016
*9. Daughter/Dam-Aged ewe with her yearling, Senior or Junior ewe lamb.
*10. Exhibitor’s Flock — group to consist of one (1) Ram Lamb and two (2) Ewes owned by exhibitor and shown in classes.
*11. Market Lamb — lamb must be slick shorn and may be divided into light and heavy weight at the discretion of the judge. Lambs must be wethers or ewe lambs. A market lamb may NOT be entered in classes 2-9, but can be shown in Fitting and Showmanship Class.
*12. Best Fleece: One entry per exhibitor.
Rosettes will go to Grand Champion & Reserve Black & White Classes
Blue — $9, Red—$7, and White — $4
13. PREMIUMS: $9.00 = Blue, $7.00 = Red, and $4.00 = White, for the following (*) classes: *1-*12